Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Miss Domestic


Two and a half years after moving out of my house, after moving out of my life - guess what! It appears I've reached some kind of milestone. Hah! I bought some beautiful, chunky textured, chocolatey-colored dishes today, that caught my eye, and that I really love. Yep, plates, bowls, salad plates, cups; service for eight. Silly, yes, but who cares? It made me happy. For a couple of reasons. Let me backtrack here for a minute...

I think most people who've been divorced will know just what I'm talking about when I say one of the most depressing, energy-sucking, drudgeful tasks I encountered upon moving out of my home, was the first big trip to Target or Walmart for household necessities. And when I say necessities, I mean strictly the bare bones essentials to make one's house tick. Pots and pans, utensils, silverware, glasses, a dish drainer, laundry baskets. I clearly recall making those purchases; even though I was in a divorce-induced haze of horror at even having to do it.

When you have zero enthusiasm, you just walk the household aisles and load up your cart. You really don't give much of a damn what the drinking glasses look like, or what pattern the silverware is. This is survival shopping, baby. I know I was on auto-pilot filling that first cart. The newly divorced - you can spot us easily. We're the ones with the glazed look in our eyes, pale and hunched over, pushing the big cart slowly past the spatulas and corkscrews, in a sluggish state of bewilderment.

Shopping trips in general, for me, were pretty horrific. What was once kind of fun – my spouse and I picking out furniture, or a cool tv – turned into a dismal stomach-churning chore I didn’t want to do, once I was re-single.

Because I was drained, in a hundred ways, and tired in a hundred more, I also felt physically weak. I bought stuff that was light, and easy to carry. When you're single (as in, newly divorced after 25 years), you have to unload and carry all your stuff in yourself. Into a house where there's no one home but you. Then you unpack it, put it where it goes, deal with the cartons and wrappings and trash. Tiring, very tiring.

I bought the most light-weight dinner dishes I could find. Those Corelle ones; you know what I mean. You get the whole set for about $20. The ones you can't break, no matter what. In plain white, because looking at the patterned sets made me feel even more depressed and pathetic. I figured I would replace them with something nice, sometime when I was feeling better.

I just didn't know it would take this long.

This was also something that all the guys I dated during that time had in common. In each of their kitchens, inside the cabinets, was the obligatory set of cheap Corelle dishes. In white.

I've had a couple fun parties at my house in those two and a half years. And I've had some people over for dinner, but it always required huge amounts of focus and energy, or else it was just some thrown-together hodgepodge of weirdmeal. Once my sister came to spend the weekend with me and brought my nieces and their friend. After a long day of shopping, we found ourselves at home, with no energy left to go out to dinner. I got out some leftover pizza, chips and dip, cookies in a package, and a big bag of cheesecorn, without really considering I hadn’t covered the four food groups. Or even one of the four. The girls gathered around the table; they were little and really didn’t give a rip whether they were eating hot dogs or HoHo’s, so popcorn seemed normal dinner fare. My sister looked over the spread, held back some heavy duty giggling, and said... “I see you’ve outdone yourself, as usual.” Pretty much turned into a gigglefest after that.

So, today. Today is remarkable in that apparently some of my long-hibernating homemaking skills are reappearing. Remarkable in that I bought settings for eight. Hmm. I’m feeling the urge to rifle through a cookbook. I think I see a dinner party or two, on the horizon.

6 comments:

  1. Your best blog so far and a very cathartic one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh soul sista, I am with YOU!!! My "ex" and I separated a year ago and I have just recently started systematically replacing all the JUNK that I made due with while he was still around. The Microwave with the reset button that didn't work. The silver ware that only had 3 teaspoons left, and those damn Corelle dishes in the cupboard. At least mine have a pink and green design around the edge, but those things just don't die! And I had these weird old bathroom towels that didn't match anything...

    I have a new set of pots and pans that still have all the teflon in them and I wash them by hand to keep them that way. I have silverware that has all 5 place settings. I have a shiny new chrome microwave that has a reset button that works. I bought PURPLE towels, and rugs, and shower curtain hooks and even a trash can. And one of these days, I am going to box up that Corelleware and donate it to the Good will and buy something beautiful and then cook something that will look delicious on it!

    I even bought a new trash can for my kitchen that has one of those petals that you step on to make it open. I always wanted one of those!

    I know what you mean about lugging everything into the house by yourself. I feel the same way about groceries. Thank God my daughter is big enough to help carry in the groceries and takes out the trash!

    It feels good to know that I am not the only one with ghosts in my house and they live in the dish cupboard!

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... Good for you, Linda, for kicking out those ghosts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the beige dish rack or the stark white one? The kitchen trash can that doesn't match either one, oh and floss, I didn't get custody of the dental floss.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha... yup. Actually, purely by accident - when I was doing much of my kitchen shopping, there was a lot of red stuff in the stores, (including a red dish rack), much of which I tossed into my cart. So, mainly by default, my kitchen ended up being fairly color coordinated, red, black and white. Yay!

    ReplyDelete