Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Breakup, A Breakout, A Break-in

It’s been sort of a hard week.

1.) The breakup: pretty much the usual, but a breakup does take the wind out of one’s sails. Sigh. There is no point in spending lots of time dwelling on this one, but suffice to say, it’s not the best way to start out the week. Double sigh, double sad. Yes, we're still friends.

2.) The breakout: on my face. Seriously. I’ve never been inclined to acne, but recently – wow. Apparently all the acne I never had in my life is starting now. Weirdness. I would bear no ill feelings toward it if it simply packed up and left today. I will say good-bye to it in a nice way, a lot like how the breakup went down.

3.) The break-in: So, Friday evening I arrived home from a long hard week at work, to find that my house had been broken into during the day, and burglarized. The back entry way door had been kicked in, and the house gone through, drawers open, cupboard doors open, stuff strewn around. Stuff taken. I can’t help but wonder what kind of a person can live with themself after stealing from people. I guess their conscience must be even smaller than their balls.

Among other things taken: my Mac Powerbook, which sits on a table on one side of my bed. (Not taken, a Dell laptop, sitting on the other side of the bed.) The lowlife took a very large jewelry box, which must have been quite cumbersome to carry, what with all the hinged doors and lid, and hanging necklaces, etc. The Dell PC would have been the better choice for the butthat to take, since I don’t have a lot of expensive jewelry. A giant box worth very little, and so awkward to carry. My iPod, which I’ll have to replace immediately because I use it while I walk the lake.

The worst for me, was the dark sinking realization that Miss Vegas Kitty was not in the house. I knew she must have escaped out the door somehow when the intruder came in or left. It gave me a terrible feeling of helplessness and doom. I was sure she was gone forever.

One of the officers who came over to check the house and write the report up, tried to reassure me by saying she might even be hiding somewhere in the house. But Kitty Vegas is far too socially inclined to hide from anyone. She would more likely be right there, following the thief around the house. Curious beyond curious.

After the officers left, I stood in the living room, feeling dazed and depressed, with the whole idea of Miss Vegas gone forever starting to sink in, and there was a knock at the door. One of the officers was standing there with her in his arms. He’d found her over near the neighbor’s house. It’s hard to express my relief and how happy I was to have her back, safe and sound.

(ps: my house is generally pretty dang clean, but I was planning to do laundry Friday night, so I had gathered it into a large heap and just left it on the floor in the middle of the hallway, which we all had to step over while walking through each room to list what had been taken. Nice. There was also the usual pile of bras and panties on my bedroom floor. In addition, since it was Friday, before I left work I had grabbed a couple bananas off my desk that I hadn’t eaten during the week. As I dropped them in my already full purse, I noticed they were just starting to turn rather brownish and spotty. And yes, there they were, in plain sight, two rotting bananas hanging out of my purse as I spoke in a dazed voice to the police. I can only assume and hope that they see much weirder stuff than that in other people’s homes.

I asked John to come over Friday night to see if he could fix the door at least temporarily so I could close and lock it, and stay in the house till it gets replaced. He was able to come over right away and do that. All my friends have been so supportive; I’ve been getting calls and texts and fb messages all weekend. I have the nicest friends and family. : )))))))))))) Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated by yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment