Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Letter To My Friend

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, a saying attributed to Freud, my good friend tells me yesterday. Or he's not sure - it may have been Roy Rogers commenting about Freud.

I checked, just briefly, online. Consensus is no one seems to know, and I'll go with that. Why? Because it's just not all that important. (I'm not writing about plagiarism here, so don't take it that way.)

I'm going to talk about my people here, my bohemian family of creatives. We're all touchy. We react; sincerely, passionately, icy cold, burning hot. We don't hold the market on these feelings, but we all tend to lean this way. This is good for us in many ways; it breeds creativity. And it's bad for us in many ways; it harbors hurt, festers anger.

I don't fault anyone I know for passionate emotions. I myself wallow daily. In order to survive in the world though, I occasionally need to regulate, dial down a bit, step back.

Step back. And take a look at the big picture, my friend. My very dear friend; whom I hope does not unravel away a friendship we've had for years. Tightly knit and impervious, so far, to the emotional passions we both bring to it. I'm not dismissing what happened (or didn't happen) on the weekend. I am saying, I am asking, I am hoping you will look at the bigger picture.

Always loved you.

Always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment